28 students from the Department of English Language and Literature led by their advisor Assist. Prof. Dr. Senad Bećirević headed to the Gazi Husrev-bey Library and the City Hall on October 28.
The Library situated in newly constructed building within the Gazi Husrev-beg Madrasah, also known as Kuršumlija, is a home for over 100.000 books, periodicals, manuscripts, photographs and other documents, some up to 900 years of age, like The Ihya’ulum al-din written by Abu Hamid Muhammed al-Gazali – the oldest manuscript in the library.
After a brief tour around the Library’s museum, students were given an opportunity to visit the books restoration laboratory. Book restaurateur welcomed students and briefly explained them process of the book restoration, and answered questions satisfying their curiosity.
Second station for the students was the restored City hall, burnt in 1992, together with almost everything that was inside. It rised from the ashes and was reopened in 2014, looking exactly the same as in 1896, when it was handed over to the City Authority. The City hall served as the National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina since 1949 until the day of destruction, 25th of August 1992.
At the end of the day students were impressed by the meaningful visit to historical and cultural wealth of the Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Thanks for contribution to the article to Emina Rizvić and Hazim Okanović.